Anyone who frequently takes antihistamines Should read this article before eating next time.
What is an antihistamine?
Many people take antihistamines when they have an itchy throat, stuffy nose, runny nose, sneezing, rashes, etc. Dr. Suksiri Sirisawangwat A UFABET doctor at the Children’s Health Center , Phyathai 1 Hospital, stated that antihistamines are generally divided into two types: tablets, suitable for older children and adults. Syrup type Suitable for young children from 2 years old.
Antihistamines are suitable for eating to reduce mild allergies such as coughing, sneezing, nasal congestion, clear runny nose from allergies to air, dust, pollen or pet fur. Including hives, rashes caused by food allergies, etc.
Efficacy of antihistamines
- Relieve symptoms of runny nose, cough, sneezing from air allergies, such as chlorpheniramine drugs (Chlorpheniramine) brompheniramine drug (Brompheniramine)
- Relieve rash, hives, such as hydroxyzine. (Hydroxyzine)
- Helps to reduce mucus and dry out mucus. Therefore, it is often eaten during the flu and runny nose.
Caution when taking antihistamines
Dr. Suksiri and Asst. Prof. Dr. Thedpong Thermak, Chulalongkorn Hospital, Thai Red Cross Society, indicated the recommendation for the use of antihistamines. or nasal decongestant as follows
- The dosage of antihistamines depends on the drug, the amount of each drug is not the same. You should take medicine as prescribed by your doctor. or consult a pharmacy with a pharmacist
- In the case of having congenital disease such as liver disease, kidney disease, heart disease or taking medications that are taken regularly. Antihistamines can affect the level of the drug in your blood. and cause side effects
- some antihistamines There may be side effects such as dry mouth, dry nose, difficulty urinating and drowsiness, so avoid driving or working in front of machinery. If it is necessary to drive or work with machinery You should take a non-drowsy drug.
- Antihistamines tend to make mucus thicker. If taking antihistamines then more coughing You should stop taking the drug immediately.
- Do not take antihistamines together with alcoholic beverages. or with drugs that depress the brain Sedatives such as sleeping pills, anticonvulsants. Because they may result in increased side effects from the drug
- Do not take antihistamines together with fruit juices. This can affect the absorption of some second-generation antihistamines.
- drug hydroxyzine (Hydroxyzine) has a cerebral depressant effect, so should not be used with children under 2 years old because it can cause stunted children.
- A group of antihistamines that help reduce mucus dry out mucus should only be used in case of clear nasal discharge and caution should be used in young children
- pregnant and lactating women You should not take antihistamines by yourself. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist to choose the right kind and dosage.